Monday, October 22, 2007

Crazy quilting my way



I've always loved crazy quilts--the rich silks and velvets, the hoarded scraps of special occasions, the irregularity of the pieces and the ways women fit them together to create a pleasing harmony without the rigidity of other pieced quilts. Texture, too, and contrasts gleefully embraced.

I'd begun working with silk because

nothing in the fabric universe takes color like silk, plus it's got all those wonderful light things it does, depending on the weave and
probably other factors as well.
Dupioni silk with its slubs and other irregularities, the soft creaminess of raw silk,
the amazing play of colors in velvets as they move. And the feel of them all, and their drape, the flow as they move. Yum!

So while gleefully piecing crazy quilt handbags and other things I started collecting squares
that somehow went together,
and then got sculptural since that's my inclination.

No comments: