Friday, November 23, 2007

Forays into freeform crochet

and boy is it fun! I like the ways crochet allows you to think on your feet, or with your fingers as the case may be, and layering stitches, different yarns and even fabric just makes it that much more interesting for me. And on the pragmatic side, when I hurt or have energy only to sit in my comfy chair with work on my lap, interesting is what it's all about. Distraction helps immensely, and making something tangible is satisfying even when I'm feeling miserable. And there's little better than stretching my brain around making something new, something nobody else has come up with.

So this capelet is wool, alpaca, silk, mohair, and some manmade fibers. (The resolution on the larger image you get by clicking on it is pretty good, so you can see a lot more of what's going on.) The very dark green fabric is sueded silk, strips left over from a sewing project and crocheted with a huge (Q) hook. It's got this wonderfully soft feel to it, and it's warm too. I think alpaca may be my newest favorite substance (after silk, anyway!). It's so soft, and it holds its warmth and looks great too. The knit piece at the bottom is actually still on the needle which is tucked under one of the lumpy areas. It'll have a curved contour on the bottom when it's complete and better integration into the whole, but I wanted to see what it looks like. It's got a couple of leaves on the upper left, and there will be more leaves applied when the body is complete, and maybe some viny things. Overall the capelet is probably about 2/3 done, and the challenge may be to not clutter it up in the remainder.

No comments: